Ceasing practice permanently or temporarily

Reading time:

Run off cover and why you need it

Claims can arise at any time. When you (temporarily or permanently) stop practising healthcare in Australia, it’s important to maintain cover for potential claims that may arise in the future based on your past practice. 

Ahpra requires you to have ‘run-off cover’ if you decide stop working. The type of run-off cover and fee depends on your individual circumstances. 

Further information regarding run-off cover can be found in the Member Handbook.

If you cease practising in Australia, complete the Ceasing Practice form at mips.com.au/forms

Extended reporting period (ERP) classification

MIPS can offer run-off cover for your past practice in an extended reporting period (ERP) membership classification. The cost of ERP cover varies as it is calculated on your individual risk history. If you have been with MIPS for five continuous years and you are permanently retiring from practising healthcare, you will be eligible for ‘ERP loyal run-off cover’.

Australian Government Run Off Cover Scheme (ROCS)

Medical practitioners may be eligible for the Run Off Cover Scheme (ROCS) when they cease practice in Australia due to retirement or other reasons which meet the eligibility criteria. ROCS is an Australian Government Scheme that provides run off at no cost to eligible medical practitioners.

After three years of no private practice in Australia, medical practitioners may become eligible for the Run-off Cover Scheme (ROCS), an Australian Government scheme that offers run-off cover at no cost. In some circumstances, such as maternity leave or retirement, medical practitioners may immediately be eligible for ROCS from the date they cease practice. 

For further information regarding ROCS please visit the Department of Health ROCS FAQ’s. 

How long do I require run-off cover?

If you are a medical practitioner and eligible for ROCS you will continue to be covered by the scheme as long you maintain your eligibility (ie not return to practice in Australia) even if you cancel your MIPS membership.  

For non-medical practitioners (dental or nuclear medical technologists), we are unable to advise you how long you need run off cover as the potential for claims to arise from past practice is ongoing. We suggest you contact our Professional Services department so you can make an informed decision about the ongoing potential for claims to arise and the factors to consider before cancelling your run-off cover. 

Run-off cover for employer indemnified practice

If you were employer indemnified for all practice undertaken in Australia this will meet your Ahpra registration requirements for run-off cover as that practice will be covered under a claims incurred basis (ie you are covered regardless of when the matter is reported).

Alternatively, if you update your membership details to run off cover when you cease practice in Australia, MIPS will continue to provide you the additional cover and assistance for that employer indemnified practice that may not be provided by your employer including:

  • Medical or Dental Practitioners Board complaints
  • Coroner’s inquests
  • Health Services Commissioner matters 
  • general assistance and medico-legal advice.

For further information regarding employer indemnified practice refer to the Member Handbook.

Cover for gratuitous or volunteer services if I retire

If you cease clinical practice but wish to maintain cover for volunteer or gratuitous services (for example prescribing and referrals) you can request cover for those services on the Ceasing Practice Form. There is a cost for cover for gratuitous services that will be added to the cost of your run-off cover.

Insurance cover is subject to the terms, conditions, and exclusions of the policy. The information provided is general advice only and does not consider your personal circumstances or needs. You should review the Member Handbook Combined PDS and FSG and/or contact MIPS on 1800 061 113, before making a decision. Information is current as at the date published.

Back to top